My Photo
Name:
Location: Saxeville, Wisconsin, Douglasville, Georgia, United States

I was born a tinker, and I've finally found a place where it fits in. Give me a problem, and I'll find a solution to it!

09 November 2008

A Touch of History



I had the privilege of visiting The Southern Museum, home of the famous General, at the invitation of their curator. While there, we examined a few of their tin and sheet iron pieces, looking at construction details and techniques. The first piece was a simple "mucket" with a nicely detailed support bead in the handle and a cullender bead on the side. Its general dimensions tell me that it was made from standard 10 x 14 sheet stock, and it presented very well. I also examined a drum style canteen with a fiddle-shaped support at the neck. I am hoping to get a discussion going on a couple of the pieces I looked at. One was made by the GEM MFG CO PGH PA. It appears to be a railroad related piece. Another similar piece showed quite a it of additional structural reinforcement on the bottom. Most curious pieces, indeed!

PLEASE NOTE that the pictures posted here are not to be copied or disseminated in any manner. They remain the copyrighted property of The Southern Museum. Permission was granted for me to post them here only for the sake of education and discussion with the Tintinkers.org chat group. Thank you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Historical Ken said...

Just wanted to let you know I enjoy your blog. I do not "tinker" but love seeing the old-time crafts kept alive.
From one history buff to another.

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home